8. Do one thing now you’ve been putting off.
The counterproductive deferment of actions or tasks to a later time.
Putting things off because we don’t want to do them, or because we have too much on our plates already.
But why do we procrastinate?
Some reasons are:
1. Poor work habits.
2. Feeling overwhelmed.
3. Trying to be perfect.
4. Rather do something else.
(from Four Reasons Why We Procrastinate at Power Home Biz)
When we procrastinate, we get behind before we’ve even started.
There are ways around it though.
* Take an inventory. (No, not of your stock!) An inventory of the ‘how’ and ‘when’ of your procrastination habits. Identifying them will help you develop strategies to break the habit.
* Create a productive work environment. Clean up your work bench, turn off the computer for a while. Don’t fall in to the trap of making the cleaning of your bench your number one priority for the day though (something I’m prone to!).
* Break the task down. Tell yourself “I am going to complete this much by now”. Do it, then get up for a break.
* Make yourself accountable. You are your own boss after all.
* Set a time limit. Within the next hour, day or week. Give yourself a time that you will finish your task.
These tips are not a cure. You may well be one of those people who fall in to the 20% that class themselves as ‘chronic procrastinators.’
And know that you’re not alone…