Cleopatra Bath Salts… Jasmine Dreams… Unwind… Lemon Cheesecake Lip Balm….
Just taking a wander through Erin’s handmade soap shop – Inner Earth Soaps on Etsy – makes me want to soak in a bath and eat cake!!
Using the cold-process method, Erin creates all of her soaps and body products from scratch, using gorgeous chemical-free materials.
Erin agreed to go under the Spotlight…
NAME: Erin Napier
1) Tell us a little bit about yourself…
I live in Bondi Beach with my fiance Nathan, and our cat Shadow. We’re very blessed to be living in such a fantastic location – I love having the beach so close, I find it very calming. I quit my fulltime job last year in September to concentrate on my business and I now work from home, making soaps and skincare products on a daily basis.
2) What time of day are you at your creative best?
I don’t really have a particular time where I feel most creative. I get ideas at any time of the day, and if I’m busy with something else I’ll just jot them down for later. My mind is always running … sometimes if I’m trying to sleep and I’m tossing and turning, Nathan will say to me “Stop thinking about soap!” and he’s usually right, lol.
3) Where do you find your inspiration? Do you have any ‘rituals’ to help put you in the creative state-of-mind?
Oh, everywhere. Nature is a big one – fruits, flowers, herbs, the changing seasons. Also in different types of food and holiday themes (Christmas, Valentine’s Day, etc). I don’t really have any rituals, I find that just sitting down with a pen and a piece of paper is enough to get the creative juices flowing.
4) How do you squeeze crafting into your busy life?
I no longer have to squeeze it in, so I’m very lucky … this is now my fulltime job. I used to make soap in the evenings after work and on weekends. I was happy, but tired. Now I have much more freedom to create during the day and relax in my spare time.
5) What are you working on now?
Today I made a batch of Kakadu soap, it will be part of my permanent range for 2010. It’s very Australian: lemon myrtle, eucalyptus and tea tree essential oils, plus lemon myrtle leaves and Australian clays. I incorporated some green and gold swirls into it too. I’m also working on some body butter, with lots of nourishing butters and oils, to be listed online in the near future.
6) What three tools could you not live without?
1) My protective gear – making soap from scratch means working with caustic soda, a dangerous corrosive. Safety first. (But don’t worry, there’s no caustic in the finished product!)
2) My scales – soapmaking is an exact science, so I couldn’t be without these.
3) My stick blender – gone are the days of hand-mixing your soap to trace. Stick blenders save on time (and arm muscles!).
Thanks for going under the Spotlight, Erin!
You can also find Erin at Inner Earth Soaps at BigCartel where you can buy her gorgeous products in Australian Dollars.
And keep up to date with what she is up to at her blog -www.innerearthsoaps.blogspot.com